Car accidents, dog bites, slip-and-fall accidents—they can happen to anyone at any time. Sometimes you’ll walk away without a scratch, but other times, you may find yourself the victim of serious injuries and property damage. Hiring a personal injury lawyer is the key to ensuring you get fully compensated for your injuries.
Here’s an overview of what personal injury attorneys can do for you, and when you should hire them.
When to hire a personal injury attorney
Not sure if your situation warrants the involvement of a personal injury lawyer? Here are some circumstances in which you should call for legal assistance:
- Your insurance company is lowballing their settlement offer: Plenty of people are shocked to find out their insurance companies are not actually on their side. You might pay the premiums, but all insurance providers have a vested interest in paying out as little as possible. That often leads to lowball settlement offers—and if you’re not savvy enough, you might agree to an offer that won’t pay the full amount of damages you deserve. A personal injury attorney will negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and advise you as to whether an offer is sufficient for your injuries.
- You have severe injuries: If you walked away from a car accident with minor issues, you might be able to handle an insurance claim on your own. If, however, you suffered a severe kind of accident—of any type—due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you need an attorney. Personal injury lawyers have handled cases like yours before, and are likely to know whether your injuries will require long-term care. In that event, they’ll be able to either negotiate a settlement or take the case to trial on your behalf.
- Your injuries have permanently disabled you: Some injuries are so severe that they permanently disable the victim—or the patient will have to endure ongoing medical care, surgeries and more for the rest of their life. That’s an expensive proposition. To make sure you get the maximum amount of compensation available, you need the help of an experienced lawyer.
- You’ve lost wages due to missing work: Similarly, accidents can cause you to miss work. You might be unable to physically care for your dependents or provide for your family in other ways. Lost wages are one of the many ways a defendant may compensate an accident victim—but without a skilled personal attorney on your side, you might not know to ask. A good lawyer will let you know which damages you qualify for and the chances they’ll be awarded.
- It’s not clear who is responsible for the injury: Some accidents are quite complicated. When there are multiple parties involved, it may not be entirely clear who is responsible. In fact, other parties may try to argue that you bear some or exclusive fault for the accident. Having a good lawyer on your side ensures your interests are protected, even if you’re partially at fault.
If your accident was severe and the consequences are likely to persist, hiring a personal injury lawyer is a smart idea. Call Ruben J. Padron, PA for experienced legal help today.
Categorised in: Personal Injury Attorney